Thursday, October 2, 2008
Pumpkin Bisque Recipe
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 granny smith apple, peeled,cored & chopped
1 leek, white part only,finely chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
1 yam or sweet potato, peeled,halved lengthwise and cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
salt & pepper
4 teaspoons minced chives, , for garnish
1. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté the leek and chopped apple until the leek softens, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the vegetable broth, yam, puréed pumpkin and thyme leaves.
4. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the yam and apple are soft when pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Transfer the hot soup to a blender or food processor and purée.
6. Pour it into 6 bowls, Garnish each bowl with a teaspoon of the chives, and serve.
And if you are like me, and enjoy total cohesion in your meal's theme, try Shipyard's Pumpkin Ale.