Sunday, August 30, 2009

One little girl in a pale pink coat heard, "Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo." She yodeled back to the lonely goatherd.

KOZA - Czech (eastern Ashkenazic): from western and eastern Slavic koza ‘nanny goat’, probably applied as a metonymic occupational name for a goatherd.

In case you didn't realize (and if you did, you deserve the Obscure Fact Know-er of the Year award), my last name translates directly to "goat" in the land of my dad's ancestors.

If only I had inherited my mother's plain Anglo-Saxon family name. It would have aroused far less nominal humiliation.

On the bright side, it wouldn't have lent itself nearly as well to thematic Etsy searches...











1 comment:

ams said...

this reminds me of Notting Hill when julia roberts say something along the lines of "happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat"

lol